I have been holding off writing a post, because I wanted to wait until I could show you the wood floors I have been installing. Here is a sneak peak. They are a little dusty since I'm not finished yet.
Hopefully today I will be able to finish putting the quarter round down and be able to move the furniture back in place. Kara was hoping I would finish last night, but the NBA Finals were on. (Man, they have all been close games, but they have been ugly) Kara said we could watch the game if I promised her the floors would be finished today. I agreed because that was already my plan and I can always use a little extra motivation.
While we were watching the game Kara decided that I should share with you all how our TV is mounted. I was a bit hesitant, because I was afraid one of you might submit my project to whitetrashrepairs.com. I wonder if Kara would put that one above or below the HGTV button in the "Featured On.." section.
Before I show you, I want you to know that this was early on in my DIY days and I was in a hurry to get the think hung so my father-in-law would be able to watch college football. I didn't need that disappointment hanging over my head.
I started by running to Lowe's to buy a 2x4, a piece of aluminum angle, and some longer machine screws. I brought the ones that came with the TV so I could make sure I got the right size.
I got aluminum instead of steel because if you are careful you can cut it with a wood blade on a miter saw and it is easier to drill than steel. I laid out where my holes needed to go and then drilled my holes using a bit a hair larger than my screws. Next I predrilled a few more holes on the adjacent side of the angle to attach my "mount" to the wall.
Once the angle was attached to the TV I measure the distance between the two so I could mount the 2x4's to the wall. I cut them to length and after making sure I would hit studs I used 3" screws to mount them to the wall. I also bored out 4 spots to accommodate the heads of the machine screws that attach the brackets to the TV.
Finally I held it in place while Kara used some drywall screws to secure the TV to the 2x4's.
Since I went to all the this hard work to hang this thing on the wall I didn't want any pesky wires ruining my picture perfect hard work. So I used a hole saw to drill a hole behind where the TV would hang and another one lower that would be covered by the console table. I just made sure it was large enough to accommodate the plug. The top hole is smaller because I had no problems sticking the cords through the top hole and letting gravity feed them to the larger bottom hole that allowed me a little more wiggle room to wrangle them from the wall cavity.
Since Kara didn't like our TV looking like the easter bunny and our TV is mounted on an exterior wall I hid our rabbit ears under the siding when I was doing a little exterior repair work. That is the cord you see in the picture above. So although we don't have to worry about hiding cables for a cable box or DVD player they could easily be run through the same holes.